Saturday, September 27, 2008

Can it be done?

"But organic is so expensive!

I hear this so often, and I always wonder what people mean by it.  They genuinely don't have the money for it?  They don't buy it because, dammit, food shouldn't cost that much no matter what it is?  They don't actually know, they just hear people talk about how much organic food costs?

In this blog, I will explore this question and many others.  My goal is to dramatically reduce my family's food budget while maintaining my unwaveringly high standards for food of exceptional quality.  

Coming from a very low-income background, I can relate to the mindset that good food is not cheap.  On a very tight budget, compromise is a matter of course, and I find myself wondering to what extent it is absolutely necessary.  Does cheap food have to mean ramen for dinner?  Does it have to mean pre-packaged food products of dubious nutritious value?  Does it have to mean dollar menu food?  

First off, I have to say that I really don't know.  I expect to be surprised with any answer, and therefore I am not going into this with any preconceived notions of what is doable.  The goal is to try my best to work with a limited budget and see if I do find myself compromising more than I want to.  

In the past week, I have written out some of my thoughts on this subject, as well as spelled out some of my ideas for this challenge.  In the interest of following my natural thought process, I will simply copy and paste much of my musings here.


No comments: